Digestive complaints like heartburn, indigestion and bloating are very common. You can usually treat them with simple changes to your lifestyle and over-the-counter remedies.
- For short-term relief, your pharmacist can recommend antacid medicines to neutralise stomach acid, or alginates to protect your food pipe (oesophagus) from acid.
- Lose weight – being overweight can contribute to heartburn.
- Stop or cut down smoking and/or alcohol.
- Have your last meal of the day at least three hours before going to bed.
- Try raising the head of your bed by a few inches – simply raising your head by using an extra pillow won’t have the same beneficial effect.
- Make a note of any food or drink that seems to make your indigestion worse, and try to avoid them.
Mild tummy pain usually lasts two to four days. If the pain or bloating persists, see your GP.